AFS Fast Minute: The Pitfalls of Distribution Warehouse Tribal Knowledge
When we talk with foodservice operators, we hear a lot of pain around distribution warehouse Tribal Knowledge. This arcane practice is when there are snippets of unwritten information that are generally unknown to most of the workforce. And because distribution warehouse Tribal Knowledge enables only a few key operators to set processes and procedures, it can make an operation inefficient or halt it full-tilt. Simply put, distribution warehouse Tribal Knowledge impacts the cost of doing business and the quality of service provided to customers.
Do you use Tribal Knowledge?
To determine if your warehouse is dependant on Tribal Knowledge, find the answers to the following seven questions:
- How is product found in overflow or reserve?
- Do warehouse operators memorize locations?
- How often do they wasting time searching?
- What happens when that put-away person isn’t around?
- How do you know if temperature controlled products are being stored in the correct coolers and freezers?
- Does inventory ever sit on the dock?
- How are pick slots efficiently replenished drivers can get on the road?
How to fix Tribal Knowledge
A system that leverages a set of procedures and organized processes will lead to repeatable, consistent, predictable results that ultimately drive service up and costs down.
What to look for in a system
While every system should be purpose-built for your highly specialized needs, it should accomplish these three functions:
- It must direct where inventory gets put away without the need for operators to remember where it goes,
- It should give your business control of the processes the workforce follows,
- It needs to raise everyone’s productivity, and
- It makes training new employees faster and cheaper.
With the AFS Warehouse Management System and its directed activities, you are in control of the critical processes that make your warehouse run efficiently and at lower costs.
If you are experiencing the pitfalls of depending on tribal knowledge, AFS Technologies can help. We have been helping with purpose-built food & beverage distribution management systems for over 30 years, that’s what makes AFS the right technology partner.